January 3, 2014

Body Image and Feeling Better about Myself

I've been struggling for the past couple of months with my weight loss and my fit journey. I haven't been feeling good about my body image. I have been so incredibly busy with my family and with the holidays that I haven't worked out in over a month. Seriously... I've done nothing to improve myself. I've eaten chocolate and sugar... oh and movie theater popcorn and had Cherry Coke. I've sat around chit-chatting with friends and family. I've been to the movies. I've eaten pizza, several times. Oh... and I've been drinking a bunch of rum with my husband. See not so fit.

You know what I am though?? 
HAPPY!!

I am learning to be happy with myself no matter what size I am. My size doesn't matter. My attitude does!

I have come to the realization that after gaining 75 pounds with my pregnancy my stomach will never look the same as it did before Zoie, and I'm ok with that. I'll probably never wear a bikini again, but I probably shouldn't have worn one to begin with. I've always been the girl that was a little lumpy around the edges. I've never had a flat stomach, and after having Zoie, I never will. Coming to that realization has changed my outlook on myself and in turn, my outlook on life.

I don't have to be ultra-fit to be heathly and I certainly don't need to be ultra fit to be a good mom. I am who makes me a good mom. My body size doesn't change that or change who I am.

I read this article that talks about people's body size and their health. I never thought of it the way she put it before, but a person's size certainly doesn't determine their health. Just because you are a little overweight does not mean you are unhealthy. Furthermore, a person that is skinny is not necessarily healthy. This gal is a real inspiration. I wish I could hug her!

I may still need to work at it at times, but from now on I am ok with the fact that I will never be this mom:


and I don't want to be.

I am THIS MOM!


I am ME! and I am OK with that!

This doesn't mean that I am going to stop my 'get fit' journey. I will still be working to better myself and eat clean and stay healthy. What I am not going to do though, is push myself to hard or set unrealistic goals for myself. I am just going to be happy with who I am and what I am no matter the size. 

If you want to read some great articles and blog posts that will make you feel good about yourself, check out Body Image Movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment