December 29, 2012

Like the Good Ol' Days

Yesterday we spent the day at my parents house in Deer Park with ALL of my family. It's not very often that we get the whole family together so we usually go all out when we are all in one place. With everyone living in different parts of the country, it gets harder and harder to get everyone in one location.

For us, yesterday was Christmas and I love getting to celebrate Christmas twice.

We were lucky enough to have snow on the ground this year. A little over two feet of the powdery white goodness that is perfect for snowmobiling. My younger brother, JC, brought over his Ski doos and we spent enough time out in the fresh air to effectively freeze our fingers and noses.

It's been years since I rode one of these. We had them all the time when I was a kid, but things change and it seems like we have had less and less snow every year since I was 10. I was beyond excited to be out in the open air with the wind in my face and tree line flying by me. Once the boys had their turn doing tricks and making it look much harder than I remembered, I finally got a turn. I decided to ride the one my older brother, Rob, brought over because it was a little less powerful than JC's. I admit, I was a little intimidated by the supped up one that JC had (but not next time).

It was even better than I remembered. But, it was a little harder than I remembered. I guess the ones my parents owned 15 years ago weren't quite as heavy as these. These things were terribly hard to turn. I had to stand on the platform on one side and lean over with all my body weight to turn it. Even then, it was a much wider turn than I wanted. Oh well, At least I got where I was going.  And for the first time in my life I could say, "I don't weigh enough!" Boy, is my body paying for it today. My arms and legs are SO sore. I'll take that over going to the gym any day!

After a very long afternoon we retired to the living room to drink hot cocoa and watch Brave with the kids. Later in the evening everyone was back at the house and we opened our Christmas presents and played games and visited while eating the some of the best prime rib I've ever had.

Overall... Amazing Day.











Took me back to a time when things were simpler and I spent my entire winter break from school either out in the snow or on the couch watching movies and crocheting. Sometimes I wish I could be a kid again.

Happy Snow Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment