November 21, 2014

My Mama's Pumpkin Custard



When I was a kid I used to love love love snow days.
Living in Eastern Washington, back then anyway, we had a lot of snow days.
No school meant that us kids were left home alone for the day. That almost never happened. My mom always did her best to be home when we were home, but of course, there were always exceptions.Snow days were one of those exceptions.

My little brother and I had a little tradition on those days.
We'd make pumpkin pie filling... and drink it like a smoothy.
(I'm pretty sure we omitted the egg, but I can't make any guarantees.)

It was our favorite!
My mom wasn't always happy with us.
Okay... she was never happy with us.
See, we didn't have canned pumpkin back then. My mom would grow our pumpkins in our garden, then cook them down and make the puree herself. 
We usually had enough to get through the winter... usually. 
Making all the pumpkin puree and freezing it was a lot of work. Something us kids didn't quite understand then. Our little anctic didn't last long. Once mom realized what we were doing, she quickly ended it.

One year my mom was pretty upset with us when Thanksgiving came around and she didn't have any pumpkin puree to make pies. Oops!

I still look back and remember those times fondly.
Even the times we got in trouble.

Ahhhh memories.


Back in the day, on cold snowy mornings, my mom used to make us Pumpkin Custard. It was a warm and delicious thing to wake up to. A wonderful way to welcome the snowy winter days. There was something so comforting about it. And the smell, oh the smell! It smells like Fall and Christmas all wrapped up together.

Since the snow started this morning, I am making this for Zoie.
This is the recipe I got from my Mama. I think it originally came from my Great-Grandma.

This recipe can be made either into a Pumpkin Pie, OR a Pumpkin Custard. A pumpkin custard is really just a pie without the crust. 
Which is my favorite part!

Mama's Pumpkin Pie/Custard

2 Whole Eggs, slightly beaten
16 Ounces Pumpkin Puree
3/4 Cup Sugar or Sugar Substitute
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon Ginger
1/4 Teaspoon Cloves
1/4 Teaspoon Nutmeg
1 2/3 Cup Heavy Cream

One Uncooked or Pie Crust


Pie Instructions
Preheat oven to 425. Mix filling ingredients in order given. Pour into prepared pie shell. Bake at 425 for 15 Minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and continue baking for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted near center of pie filling comes out clean. Cool completely on wire rack.
Serve with Whipped Cream or Cool Whip.

Custard Instructions
Preheat oven to 425. Mix filling ingredients in order given. Pout into 9x13 pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until knife inserted near center of custard comes out clean.
Enjoy warm or cooled with a dollop of whipped cream or cool whip.




I prefer cool whip on my pumpkin pie.
Yum!





Time for breakfast.


I can totally justify eating pie and cool whip for breakfast!
Enjoy the weather where you are.
I hope we get enough snow to make some angels.

K


No comments:

Post a Comment