January 17, 2013

Phili Cheese Steak Stuffed Peppers {Recipe}

Yesterday I was drawing a complete blank as to what to make for dinner. My husband gave his usual input of, "Whatever you wanna make."
Worst answer ever to give to someone as indecisive as me.

So... I decided to grab a recipe from Pinterest.
Not really knowing where to start, I just grabbed what I thought looked good at the time.

This deconstructed Phili Cheese Steak type picture jumped out at me.
It was with great disappointment that I soon found there wasn't a recipe attached to the link.
Boo!

So I took matters into my own hands and decided to try it on my own.

Here is my version of

Phili Cheese Steak Stuffed Peppers

Ingredients:
2-3 Large Green Bell Peppers (1 Pepper per person)
1 Medium Yellow Onion, sliced
1/2 lb Cremini Mushrooms, sliced
2 Cloves Garlic, chopped
5-6 Large Slices Roast Beef
6-8 Slices Provolone Cheese


Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. 
I stared by slicing my onion and mushrooms.
The onion was cut in half lengthwise, then sliced into about 1/2 inch pieces. Set aside.

Slice Mushrooms. Set aside.
Chop 2 cloves garlic. Set aside.

Slice bell peppers in half and clean out the inside seeds.
(When I make these again, I will roast the peppers before stuffing them. They weren't fully cooked the way I finished them. Drizzle with olive oil and give them about 10-15 minutes in the oven to sweat out most of their water.)


Slice Roast Beef into strips. Set aside
I use the roast beef from Costco which comes in fairly large slices. 
If you buy a smaller sliced meat, you may need more. I used 6 pieces.

Heat skillet to med/high heat. Add butter to your pan to melt.
When pan is hot and butter is melted, saute the mushrooms until done.
Remove mushrooms from pan and set aside for later. You can put a foil tent over these to keep them warm.
Add the onion to the pan and saute until done. They should be limp and semi-caramelized.
When the onion is about 3/4 done, add in your chopped garlic.


Remove onions from pan and set aside with mushrooms.
Add roast beef to pan and stir around until heated. Since the meat is already cooked, you only want to reheat it. Once warmed, add back into pan your onion, garlic, and mushrooms. Stir to combine.

Remove from heat.
On a clean work surface, take each 1/2 of bell pepper and place a slice of provolone cheese inside. Layer that with a nice helping of meat mixture. I used about 1/2 cup. 
Place the second slice of cheese on top of meat mixture.


I put a piece of foil on a cookie sheet and placed the stuffed peppers on the foil.
Bake in the 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.
Cheese should be lightly browned and bubbly.
This recipe serves 2-4 people. The mixture should fill 3-4 peppers

Enjoy!



We sure loved how this recipe turned out. You can tell by the empty plate. My husband ate 2 of them, they are fairly filling. I hope you enjoy. I can't wait to share the next recipe we try from Pinterest. There are so many yummy things to choose from.

Hope you all have a happy Friday and a wonderful weekend.

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. That's so awesome you actual tried a recipe on Pinterest AND it was delish! I just pin. And pin. And pin. Never actually cook anything lol! I need to take direction from you! Those look OH SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this looks really good! I am your newest follower and stopping by from the blog hop today. If you get a chance stop by and check out my blog. Have a great day!

    Southern Beauty Guide
    Southernbeautyguide.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete