January 14, 2013

Sad day for Football and A Chili Recipe


So...
What'd I tell ya?!?

I get my hopes up and then I get let down.
Big Time (Insert Sad Face)

(Spoiler Alert)



The Seahawks lost yesterday. But not for lack of trying!
Anyone else catch the game?? Whoa! What a come back!! They went from losing 7-27 to winning 28-27 and then to lose it all in the last 31 seconds. It was a nail biter for sure!
Good game Atlanta! Good luck against the 49ers!

Even with the sad sad loss of our Hawks, we had some great food.
I made our family chili recipe and it rocked like always.

So Easy... Are you ready??



Chili That's Great - From My Mama

1/2 LB Hamburger
1/2 LB Ground Italian Sausage (We use the sweet cause it's not too spicy for Zoie)
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Whole Yellow Onion, chopped
1 Whole Green Pepper, chopped
2 Cloves Garlic, chopped

1 16oz Can Tomato Sauce
1 14oz Can Beef Broth
1 Cup Water
1 6oz Can Tomato Paste
1 4oz Can Diced Green Chilis (Mild)
1 16oz Can Pinto Beans, Drained and Rinsed
2 16oz Can Kidney Beans, Drained and Rinsed

3 Tablespoons Chili Powder
1 1/2 teaspoons Cumin
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Sugar
1 teaspoon Oregano
1/8 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper (May omit, does give a bit of a kick.)

In a stock pot (at least 6 quart) heat oil and brown sausage. Remove sausage from pot and add hamburger to brown. When nearly done, add chopped onion, green pepper, and garlic to hamburger. Cook 2-3 minutes then add sausage back in. Cook another 2-3 minutes.










Add remaining ingredients. I usually add all the canned items and give it a good stir, then add the spices.
Let simmer uncovered for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Enjoy!





Corn bread makes a great pairing to any chili, although recently my husband discovered adding  noodles thanks to our neighbors. I like a dollop of sour cream and some shredded cheese. If I'm really feeling it, I'll eat it all with Fritos instead of a spoon. Our girls like to mix it with Mac & Cheese.

Variations: 
To get a hotter chili, change up the peppers. Use fresh  or canned jalapenos instead of green chilis, Add a little more Cayenne. Use hot italian sausage instead sweet or mild.

We like meat in our family, so we usually use a whole pound of hamburger but the chili is a little thicker.

I used cased sausage and cut into chunks; my husband likes to know it's there. (You can see in the pics that my sausage wasn't all the way cooked when I removed it from the pot the first time. When left in the casing it burns easily so I cook it about 3/4 of the way and it will cook completely when you simmer.)

Hope you all enjoy. It is one of our favorites. Even Zoie will eat it.

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Bummer both our teams lost :( Anywhoo... moving on... can't wait to try this chili! I am drooooooling already!

    Kristine from The Foley Fam {unedited} Blog

    ReplyDelete